Post-16 Travel Arrangments

From September 2018, all post 16 students should apply for a travel pass to be able to use North Yorkshire County Council’s school transport if they live 3 miles away from the College.

How do students qualify for a Caedmon College Whitby post-16 travel pass?

  • Students eligible must be over 16 and under 19 on 1 September 2018 and live within the North Yorkshire County Council transport routes.
  • they must be studying a full-time course (all Caedmon College Whitby post-16 courses are full-time)
  • students must live more than 3 miles away from Caedmon College Whitby.

Who will pay for your travel pass? 

Although the government has introduced the raising participation age for post-16 students, they have not given local authorities any additional funding for home to college transport.  Therefore, the cost of the transport is either to be paid for by parents or, from this year, it will be met by Caedmon College Whitby for those enrolling with us from September, other than where North Yorkshire County Council will pay for students who meet the exemption criteria below. All parents/students must first check their eligibility with the Local Authority and provide evidence of this to the College before the College can pay for any post-16 travel passes.

Exemption criteria for those for whom the Local Authority will provide a free pass:

  • Young people looked after by North Yorkshire County Council, ie, in care
  • Students receiving income support or Universal Credits in their own right and who are living independently.
  • Registered young carers.

How do I apply for a post-16 travel pass?

You apply online via the website  It will require you to add a payment method and this will be deleted once North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) contacts the College to confirm that you are a registered student.  The pass will then be issued to you from NYCC.

When do I apply for the travel pass?

If you have just sat your GCSE examinations, you can apply as soon as you have registered to post-16 studies at Caedmon College Whitby on the GCSE results day in August.

If you are currently in the College’s sixth form, you should apply straight away.

Do I have to renew the travel pass each year?

Yes, you must re-apply through North Yorkshire County Council’s Post-16 Transport department each academic year.

What expectations are related to the Caedmon College Whitby Post 16 travel passes?

Maintaining sensible behaviour on the home-to-College transport and setting a good example for the younger learners using the transport. Should any student act inappropriately, their travel pass can be withdrawn and charged to the parent/carer.


Students are expected to have good attendance, otherwise the travel pass may be charged to the parent/carer.

‘Raising the Participation age’

The government has changed the law so that all young people are required to continue in education or training until the end of the academic year in which they turn 18.  This means that young people will need to continue in their studies or participate in training as follows:

  • Study full time in a school, college or with a training provider.
  • Work full time combined with training.
  • Undertake an approved apprenticeship.

Should you have any queries regarding post-16 travel passes, please do not hesitate to contact and we will get back to you. Please can you sign the agreement enclosed with this letter, and return it to the College before the end of the summer term.

Vicki Verrill
Sixth Form Co-ordinator

Reply Slip

Leave a Reply