What will I study?
On this course students will attend College two days a week and the remaining three days will be spent on an unpaid work experience placement. This course is designed to develop student’s employability skills and provide qualifications and experience in an employment area of their own choice. This will be achieved through careers counselling, where students will map out their future career path and identify a work experience placement that is suited to their needs. This course will also enable students to re-sit their Level 2 Maths and English qualifications. In addition to this, students will complete the Level 1 BTEC IT Users qualification and have the opportunity to progress onto Level 2 is suitable. To prepare students for the workplace and to make them more employable, all students will also complete the following courses:
- Level 1 Award in Health & Safety in the Workplace
- Level 2 Award in Health & Safety in the Workplace
- Level 1 Award in Fire Safety Awareness
- Level 2 Award in Fire Safety
- Level 2 Award in Manual Handling – Principles and Practice
In addition, students may also choose to complete additional qualifications that are mirrored to their chosen career paths such as:
- Level 1 Award in Health and Safety in a Construction Environment
- Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering
- Level 3 Award in Emergency Paediatric First Aid
- Level 3 Award in Emergency First Aid at Work
- Level 3 Award in Principles of Safeguarding and Protecting Children, Young People or Vulnerable Adults
What support will I have throughout the course?
You will have the support of the Sixth Form team to help you with any problems you may have with your work placement or studies. You will also have regular one-to-one meetings with the College careers advisor, Ms Mackle, to help you work out the next steps in your career journey, you can also keep in touch with her on this email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do students do afterwards?
Students can progress onto Level 3 courses once they have secured five GCSEs at Grade 4 or above or can apply for an apprenticeship.
How will I be assessed?
Level 2 GCSE Maths and English exam.
Work experience targets.
A range of practical assessments and written/multiple choice examinations for work related qualifications.
BTEC IT Users qualification is assessed through internally assessed project work that is subject to moderation.
What can I do to prepare?
Talk to other students about their experiences and discuss different career paths with family and friends. Would a combination of Sixth Form and work related learning suit your style of learning.